This webinar will provide attendee’s with a comprehensive overview of working with individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and how to best advocate for their support needs. The session aims to:
- increase your deaf awareness and understanding of deaf community and culture,
- explain hearing loss and common co-morbidities,
- explore common barriers, important considerations across the lifespan, and misconceptions,
- explanation of how interpreting hours are calculated, the different types of interpreting considerations, and thinking about how to tailor requests to address NDIS goals
- explore the use of standardised assessments in this space and the importance of ensuring the questions have been interpreted as intended
- provide an overview of the assistive technology options and services/suppliers available across Australia
Presented by Tina Taseska, Occupational Therapist and Team Leader for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Assistive Technology and Fiona Fonti, Occupational Therapist and Managing Director at The Rehabilitation Specialists. Since beginning her career as an Occupational Therapist, Tina has worked closely with the Deaf Community and has become passionate about advocating for their support needs, assisting to bridge the communication barrier between her clients and the NDIS to ensure they are provided with the necessary supports and assistive technology.
Fiona has been an OT since 2006 and has lived experience as an NDIS participant. Fiona is profoundly deaf and wears bilateral cochlear implants, and is passionate about working with the Deaf community and educating the broader community (and the NDIS!) about the differing support needs. Fiona brings a unique perspective and understanding working with deaf and hard of hearing participants, and explaining the hidden challenges that can impact on function. Fiona is an open book and is happy to answer any questions about her own experiences and observations.
The Certificate of Completion for this webinar, which you can use for CPD hours, will be emailed to you at the end of the month.
On purchasing this on demand session, a link to the recording will be made available along with any webinar resources which will be valid for one month.
Please note that the price to purchase access to this recording is for one person only. If you wish for multiple people to access the recording, please purchase access for each person.